Monday, December 17, 2007

Potato Spinach Soup with Parmesan Toasts

This one's another Old Mother Hubbard meal. The only vegetables in the house were a box of frozen spinach, half an onion, and a potato. I chopped the onion and sauteed it in a pot with a couple tbsp. of butter until it was soft. Then I peeled and chopped the potato and put it, the spinach, and 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth in the pot with the onions. I let it boil until the potato was soft, then added a cup of milk and put it in the blender. I pureed it and put it back in the pot over medium-low heat and added 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, 1 tsp. of black pepper, and about 1/2 tsp. salt. To make the parmesan toasts, I toasted some chewy bread, buttered it, sprinkled on some parmesan, and broiled them. Then I cut them up into strips. Easy, huh? Oh, to make the white squiggles, I mixed some milk into a little bit of sour cream and swirled it on top. You can use the same method to make soup out of just about anything depending on what you have.

Source
Taylor Cropper

No comments: