Friday, November 20, 2009

Favorite Rolls


A couple of years ago, I set forth on a mission to find the perfect roll recipe. I was disappointed by several (even Martha's! For shame!) before my friend, Wendy, invited me (OK, so I invited myself) to her home to make rolls with her. And? Mission accomplished! These are now my go-to rolls for Thanksgiving and any other roll occasion.

The recipe:

Combine 2 cups warm water (about 104 deg.), 2 tablespoons yeast, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Let sit 5 minutes. Add 2 sticks butter (melted and cooled--again about 104 deg.), 3 beaten eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 8 cups flour. Mix and knead dough. Let sit until doubled. Punch down.


(I let mine rise in the fridge overnight. If you do this, you have to get the dough to warm up a bit before rolling it out or it is too difficult to work with.)

Take a grapefruit-sized wad of dough and roll it out on a floured surface into a circle that is 1/4-inch thick. With a pizza cutter, cut the circle into 12 triangles. (You'll do this 4 times, making 48 rolls total.)
Roll triangles up from wide end. Place point down onto a greased baking sheet. (You've practiced this technique with Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, right?!) Cover and let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes, until golden.

Enjoy! Savor! Eat as many as you want--it's the holidays!
-Anne

No comments: